Nombre total de pages vues

jeudi 8 mai 2014

A COLANUT TAKES US TO THE PALACE AND TO CHURCH

A COLANUT TAKES US TO THE PALACE AND TO CHURCH


We were all laughing, as we amused ourselves, when a bunch of colanuts
Fell from the tree with a heavy thud
The sound was so loud we knew it would be a large one
All of us three children rose and went for it
In the frantic search, we landed our hands on it at the same time
But then we sued for peace and let Akum pick it up
And carry it as he was the eldest.


True to size!
How large it was!
It was the largest bunch of colanuts I had ever seen
In our village, Koyimi, where colanuts
Are the main export commodity
And have built many homes
And sponsored many children in school.


Yet our parents say the villagers did not plant them
Our ancestors came into the place for the first time
And found it was overrun by colanut trees
So, they adopted and cultivated d them.


When such big ones fell
And children pickers took them home
Their fathers would take them straight to the palace
The big and best things go to the palace
Although to be fair to the Fon
The palace is everybody’s home
The homeless go there to be sheltered
The hungry go there to be fed
The thirsty go there to drink.
And that’s how it has been from time immemorial.


The following morning
My father informed mymother he was going to the palace
He put the colanut in his bag and gave me the bag to carry
I slung it across my shoulder and we left for the palace
The raphia handle of the bag totured my shoulder
With the weight of the catch
Even so, I couldn’t complain
We found the Fon sitting in the courtyard with some elders
When he spotted my father, he gleefully said to the others
“When I see Tayong Anomah with such a large bag
I know something good will come out of it
Bring it, Tayong!”


When my father took out the colanut bunch
Everyone exclaimed including the Fon
They all said they had never seen a bunch so large!
The Fon improvised a speech
He thanked my father
Who had now taken his seat among them
And asked the elders including him
To guess how many unpeeled round nuts
Might come out of the bunch
Different answers were given
He then asked someone to tell him
The largest number of lobes that any nut would produce
Again answers were ventured.
One elder, bewildered by the size of the bunch, said “thirty”
Another drowned his voice and disagreed
He reasoned that although God made colanuts
In lobes that were already partitioned and we only had to take one
He knew men only too well and knew that
If he gave a single nut up to thirty lobes
They would start fighting among themselves.


The Fon raised his hand and said:
“You know what?” The assembly said, “No, Mbe! Tsa be!”.
He again asked the question and the assembly said, “No, Mbe! Tsa beh!”
“I know!  I know what we shall do. Maformusong has spoken to me
He has asked me to do the unprecedented in this village
He has asked me to take the bunch of colanuts to church.
Tomorrow is Sunday
We shall all break tradition and go to church
All of us
We shall give it to the pastor and say
We are offering it to God.
God is supreme.
Everyone was surprised at this new apparent conversion of the Fon
But everyone was too overwhelmed to ask any questions.



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire