Nombre total de pages vues

lundi 30 décembre 2013

AN EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT

EYEWITNESS (Recalling the death of an AIDS husband) By Tikum Mbah Azonga That night I knew there was something wrong Adrian spoke little, ate little and drank little His countenance changed and he became brittle Like the china grand pa brought from the war badly rung. As days came and went He was more and more withdrawn “Leave me alone, Agnes, I am a pawn!” Yet I couldn’t understand why he was so rent. Why can my own husband not tell me What exactly the problem is? Even the children, he would not give them the kiss Then one day I found him massaging his knee. What’s the matter, Adrian, my love urchin? Oh nothing! Just a cramp, that’s all Yet I caught him at it again in the hall He looked confused and asked if I was Roseline. Me now Roseline, Adrian? How so? I’m your wife, Agnes So why did he take me for an illness? Why had I become a foe? Some weeks later, Adrian collapsed At the hospital, he was put on drips Months passed, runny stomach, boils on the hips Now better; soon relapsed. Weight loss set in His complexion faded and darkened Then he lost speech …coma and hardened His messed up clothes went in the bin. Three months later, on doctor’s instructions Nurse posted on the ward door: “No visitors.” Adrian’s limbs lost movement, no motivators Days later he died in his sleep without instructions. He had suggested his own epitaph “Here lies a humble servant of the people Half Bantu, half Peuhl Who fought a good fight but went down without staff _________________________________________ NOTA BENE This poem is taken from my book entitled, SAY NOT TO AIDS, a collection of poems some of which are in English and the others in French. This book is currently on the Ministry of Secondary Education official book list for Forms 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Lower 6th and Upper 6th, as well as the Francophone classes, 6ème, 5ème, 2nde and Tle .

1 commentaire:

  1. EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT

    (Recalling the death of an AIDS husband)

    By Tikum Mbah Azonga


    That night I knew there was something wrong
    Adrian spoke little, ate little and drank little
    His countenance changed and he became brittle
    Like the china grand pa brought from the war badly rung.
    As days came and went
    He was more and more withdrawn
    “Leave me alone, Agnes, I am a pawn!”
    Yet I couldn’t understand why he was so rent.
    Why can my own husband not tell me
    What exactly the problem is?
    Even the children, he would not give them the kiss
    Then one day I found him massaging his knee.
    What’s the matter, Adrian, my love urchin?
    Oh nothing! Just a cramp, that’s all
    Yet I caught him at it again in the hall
    He looked confused and asked if I was Roseline.
    Me now Roseline, Adrian? How so?
    I’m your wife, Agnes
    So why did he take me for an illness?
    Why had I become a foe?
    Some weeks later, Adrian collapsed
    At the hospital, he was put on drips
    Months passed, runny stomach, boils on the hips
    Now better; soon relapsed.
    Weight loss set in
    His complexion faded and darkened
    Then he lost speech …coma and hardened
    His messed up clothes went in the bin.
    Three months later, on doctor’s instructions
    Nurse posted on the ward door: “No visitors.”
    Adrian’s limbs lost movement, no motivators
    Days later he died in his sleep without instructions.
    He had suggested his own epitaph
    “Here lies a humble servant of the people
    Half Bantu, half Peuhl
    Who fought a good fight but went down without staff
    _________________________________________

    FOOTNOTE


    This poem is taken from my book entitled, SAY NOT TO AIDS, a collection of poems some of which are in English and the others in French. This book is currently on the Ministry of Secondary Education official book list for Forms 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Lower 6th and Upper 6th, as well as the Francophone classes, 6ème, 5ème, 2nde and Tle .

    RépondreSupprimer