Nombre total de pages vues

mercredi 18 décembre 2013

MY BAPTISM OF FIRE FROM DESERT BIRDS (For M.L. Reed in the USA who reads my Facebook poems and told me rrecently that he had just bought my collection of peoms entitled THE COWRIE NECKLACE, published by Langaa and available in good bookshops throughout the world and online) It was a long, hot day And all alone I had been trailing the last unmanned camels But it was more hit and miss and hide and seek I wasn't myself Because I had just lost my lovely red rose So imagine my surprise when Dehydrated, parched, drained and amorphous I at last spotted a pool. From nowhere whatsoever, I was seized by unspeakable and indescribable energy The kind that enables a mother to topple a heavy truck And free her trodden child from danger. So I rushed to this timely standing and waiting pool Ready for a drink When I got nearer, I decided I needed a bath instead, a cold bath So I threw my whole being into it But lo and behold it was sand Raw, crude, uncouth, harsh,hot and burning sand Oh, how I hurt myself! As I lay there, a swarm of birds flew up and hovered above my head Some mocked me and made rude gestures with those wooden beaks of theirs Others provoked me and said, "Rise and come if you're a man!" Some even deliberately dropped faeces on me Steaming hot excreta on my head, on my shoulders, on my back, on my laps Just those parts my spouse likes to touch. Then all of a sudden they all swung round As if directed by a choir master And started chirping away at a song All of them, singing in perfect harmony! I couldn't understand their language But I clearly heard "kok!kok!kok!" Then they swung round again, this time looking north One of them, the only one with a beard flew forward, halted in the air, Looked down at me in the hot sand And then opened its beak and down came a folded piece of paper that landed on my neck It read " You denied us water yesterday. Today we also deny you wanter." After I finisged reading the provocative message, I looked up to ask them one or two questions But they were gone Gone to the last man, if at all they were men And I was left with my legion of questions Stuck in my poor mouth. Come to think about it They claimed I denied them water Me? When? How?

1 commentaire:

  1. MY BAPTISM OF FIRE FROM DESERT BIRDS

    (For M.L. Reed in the USA who reads my Facebook poems and told me rrecently that he had just bought my collection of peoms entitled THE COWRIE NECKLACE, published by Langaa and available in good bookshops throughout the world and online)


    It was a long, hot day
    And all alone
    I had been trailing the last unmanned camels
    But it was more hit and miss and hide and seek
    I wasn't myself
    Because I had just lost my lovely red rose
    So imagine my surprise when
    Dehydrated, parched, drained and amorphous
    I at last spotted a pool.

    From nowhere whatsoever,
    I was seized by unspeakable and indescribable energy
    The kind that enables a mother to topple a heavy truck
    And free her trodden child from danger.

    So I rushed to this timely standing and waiting pool
    Ready for a drink
    When I got nearer, I decided I needed a bath instead, a cold bath
    So I threw my whole being into it
    But lo and behold it was sand
    Raw, crude, uncouth, harsh,hot and burning sand
    Oh, how I hurt myself!

    As I lay there, a swarm of birds flew up and hovered above my head
    Some mocked me and made rude gestures with those wooden beaks of theirs
    Others provoked me and said, "Rise and come if you're a man!"
    Some even deliberately dropped faeces on me
    Steaming hot excreta on my head, on my shoulders, on my back, on my laps
    Just those parts my spouse likes to touch.

    Then all of a sudden they all swung round
    As if directed by a choir master
    And started chirping away at a song
    All of them, singing in perfect harmony!
    I couldn't understand their language
    But I clearly heard "kok!kok!kok!"

    Then they swung round again, this time looking north
    One of them, the only one with a beard flew forward, halted in the air,
    Looked down at me in the hot sand
    And then opened its beak and down came a folded piece of paper that landed on my neck
    It read " You denied us water yesterday.
    Today we also deny you wanter."

    After I finisged reading the provocative message,
    I looked up to ask them one or two questions
    But they were gone
    Gone to the last man, if at all they were men
    And I was left with my legion of questions
    Stuck in my poor mouth.

    Come to think about it
    They claimed I denied them water
    Me? When? How?

    RépondreSupprimer