Nombre total de pages vues

samedi 14 février 2015

THE COLOURS OF OUR OWN RAINBOW





(For Noela at the Finance Office of the Catholic University Institute of Buea - CUIB)*

This is one of our colours
The colour is blue
Blue on the university`s artifacts
Blue on my dresses
Blue on my finger nails
If you like, call me the Blue Prad
I`m blue and proud
Here we don`t need the rainbow
Because we have our own
It`s not just because we work in the Finance Office
It`s also because
We are part of that one, big and united family
We call it the Economy of Communion
The brain child of Bishop Immanuel Bushu.


It`s not about dollars
For those who follow money live to rue
As stated in the Acts
And always end up in dark recesses
We may not speed on the rails
But we know we are spiritually well clad
That`s why we`re physically so stout
And we fly like the crow
We`re never alone
Since we`re protected by God`s giant edifice
At all times we remain faithful to our cause
Whether in or out of the homily
With these chosen colour we can communion
And that`s the crux of the issue.
*Background to this poem

A few days ago I was at the Finance Office of the Catholic University Institute of Buea (CUIB) and while I was being served by the Chief Finance Officer (Ngwatung Blasius) and the Receivables Officer (Ngole Noela) I noticed that the nails of the latter were polished blue.

I was struck by that fact partly because the colour `blue` is the distinguishing shade of CUIB and partly because it is my favourite colour. When by way of appreciation I asked her why she had chosen it for her nails, she laughed and told me that when she was getting ready for work that morning, she had also thought of the coincidence of the colour.

She went on to say, “This is one of our colours!” On the spot, I promised her and Mr. Ngwatung I would do a poem on the incident, with the first line of the first stanza being the phrase, “This is one of our colours!”
Here it is.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire