Nombre total de pages vues

samedi 7 juin 2014

TROUBLE ON THE MUNGO BRIDGE



TROUBLE ON THE MUNGO BRIDGE


By Tikum Mbah Azonga
 

I heard a loud and irresistible cry like that of an angel
And instinctively, I lifted my head
After all, I was near the Mungo River Bridge
And anything could happen.


Too often, tempers had flared here before
With each person trying to speak louder than the other
And none prepared to listen
Not even our neighbors or the colonial masters
Nobody could calm down the belligerents.


Just as I wondered whether
God the Almighty was seeing this waste of human energy
The sky darkened as if it was a total eclipse
And then suddenly brightened up again
Night   gave way to day
And sunshine took over
Then I heard a loud thundering voice from heaven
It was an unusually loud and commanding voice
One that ruled the world
“Listen to me, all of you!
Why do you quarrel and wear yourselves out for nothing?
Return to your various homes
Sit down and concert among yourselves
Then come back here.
Your language will change!”


Then the voice faded away slowly but increasingly
Like the fade-in/fade-out in film-making
As it uttered the words
“Let those who have ears, hear!”

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire