Nombre total de pages vues

vendredi 14 février 2014

TEARY EYES (POEM BY CHRIS EBINI)


 Today, I ran into the poem below, written and posted on the yahoogroups discussion forum by hris Ebini. I have read it and my appreciation of it is here below, after the poem.

____________________________________________________
 
 
TEARY EYES
 
By Christmas Atem Ebini
 
I weep silently
For the many troubles
That has long laden
My dear beloved fatherland
From whence the thoughts
So burdened  in my heart
Leave me with teary eyes
 
I cry quietly
In the many sad moods
Of my ruthless banishment
Away from the sherbet soft blue sky
Of my fragile and sensitive birthplace
Where the birds sing and the cock crow
Leaving me with teary eyes
 
I sob lonely
At Christmastime away from home
As the songs and the plays
Of the children and the gifts
Build the thoughts in my soul
Of the many children I left behind
Also with many teary eyes
 
I lament painfully
In my stomach and in my heart
Of the many innocent souls destroyed
As they brought in the harvest
From the refreshing garden of  trust
That they willfully gave away
To be left with teary eyes
 
For them too I weep
Those golden souls of innocence
Victims of the whims of nature
Brought into destitution of being
From no free choice of theirs
Upon the bitter pleasures and neglect
That left them with teary eyes 
 
__________________________________________________
 
MY APPRECIATION OF THE POEM
 


Interesting poem with wit, punch, profundity and imagery.

But I am sad because the story opens with "Teary Eyes", then it kicks off with "silent weeping" (Stanza 1), followed by "quiet crying" (Stanza 2), "lonely sobbing" (Stanza 3) and "painful lamenting". In the last stanza, ("For them too I weep"), the number of those "weeping" increases dramatically . 

Thereafter the poet produces a succession of macabre, gruesome and apocalyptic images such as "golden souls of innocence" (signifying deliberate victimization), "victims", "destitution", "bitter pleasures and neglect". The poem ends on a doom and gloom note with no hope for the future. If anything, the stakes have become higher because we go away from the rendition seeing not only the narrator weeping but those others who made up the community with him/her - and thereby kept him/her company in an unfriendly , corrupt and destructive world - also now have  "teary eyes". So it`s tears from the beginning to the end.

My question is: Is life so gloomy and pointless? Not even one soul is saved in that poem. Yet no amount of suffering can equal what Jesus went through alone. That was one man carrying the whole of humanity on his single head. What a load and what a burden! He paid  the ultimate sacrifice: death (by Crucifixion) .

Even so, Jesus too fell in life, not just once or twice, but thrice. So why should the poet run away with conviction that   as he has fallen once, that is the end of life. Does it mean he/she does not even believe in the second coming of Christ?
 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire