Nombre total de pages vues

dimanche 9 février 2014

THE BROKEN VALENTINE`S GIFT



THE BROKEN VALENTINE`S GIFT

I wanted it to be a surprise
So while she was busy in the kitchen
I crept up from behind.

When I was within reach
I raised the flower vase and called out
“Hi darling!”
She got startled and thrown off balance
As she did so, she leapt towards me and as I tried to dodge
I dropped the vase of flowers
It fell with a clatter and got shattered.

I felt sorry for the flowers, now soiled, adulterated
And mixed up with bits of broken china
“What did you do that for?” she asked angrily
“Sorry, darling!” I said “It was your Valentine gift.”

Then there were a few seconds – perhaps a minute – of silence
I looked at her face
She was crest-fallen, remorseful and even feeling very bad
“I`m very sorry dear. And thanks for the thought
I really appreciate it”, she whispered.

As I bent down to pick up the broken pieces of china
She reached out before me:” No, let me do it. It was my fault!”
“In that case, let me pick up the flowers.
We both got up, she carrying the china remains
And I, the sodden and abused flowers.

Not knowing what else to say, I told her
“I`ll get you another vase and another set of flowers”

A broad smile lit up her face and she walked up to me:
‘Know what, my sweet love? Don`t bother
You have already offered me a vase of flowers
You don`t have to do it again
You are my Valentine
Not a bouquet of flowers.
I love
Happy Val`s!”.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire